ADR Chambers: Panel Members
Jonathan Flanders, B.Sc., B.C.L., LL.B.
Education & Professional Associations
Jonathan is a graduate of McGill University (B.Sc., 1975; B.C.L., 1978; LL.B., 1979) and was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1981.
Jonathan is a member of The Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association, Ontario Bar Association, ADR Institute of Ontario, Inc., ADR Institute of Canada, Inc., and a Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators. He is on the panel of arbitrators and mediators for ADR Institute of Ontario, Inc. and 407 ETR, and was formerly a "Roster Mediator, Ontario Mandatory Mediation Program-Toronto".
Jonathan practised law for twenty years. He started acting as a mediator in 1995 while continuing his law practice as a partner at a downtown Toronto Bay Street law firm, Shibley Righton LLP. Jonathan left the practice of law and the firm to join DRS Dispute Resolution Services in March 2001 to provide mediation and arbitration services on a full-time basis. He has continued to provide ADR services on a full-time basis since joining DRS and since the merger of DRS with ADR Chambers in October 2010.
Since his transition from a 20-year law practice to full-time mediation, Jonathan has mediated over 1,500 cases including personal injury, insurance, product liability, property damage, libel, franchise, lease, employment, professional negligence, construction, contract, environmental, estates, business and real estate disputes.
Jonathan's extensive experience as a mediator is recognized by his membership as a Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Jonathan authored the Chapter on "Insurance and Related Lease Provisions" in "Tenant's Rights and Remedies in a Commercial Lease: A Practical Guide", Canada Law Book Inc., 1998. Jonathan has also been a speaker at and authored papers for conferences sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association-Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Franchise Association, Federated Press, the Institute for International Research, The Canadian Institute, the International Council of Shopping Centres, the Ontario Ministry of Government Services, The Environmental Advisory Group and the Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company.
Jonathan’s more recent speaking engagements include:
- panel chairman on "Mediation and Arbitration" at a conference in February, 2001 sponsored by Federated Press;
- discussion leader on "Mediation and Arbitration" at the International Council of Shopping Centres Canadian Law Conference in March 2001;
- panel chairman on "Negotiating Psychology and Strategies for Deals and Disputes" at the International Council of Shopping Centres Canadian Law Conference in March 2002;
- speaker on "Advantages and Disadvantages of Mediating Franchise Disputes" at a conference in June, 2006 sponsored by the Ontario Bar Association;
- speaker on “Top Ten Tips for Creating Lucrative Win Win Settlements” at a conference in February 2009 on Personal Injury Settlements sponsored by The Canadian Institute;
- speaker on “Best Practices for Mediating Civil Litigation Matters” at a conference in November 2009 on The New Civil Litigation Regime sponsored by The Canadian Institute;
- panel speaker on “Why Litigate? Let’s Mediate: Tips, Traps & Trends” at a conference in January 2010 on Personal Injury Settlements sponsored by The Canadian Institute;
- discussion leader on " Mediating Franchise Disputes" at a franchise law conference in November, 2010 sponsored by the Ontario Bar Association.
Phone: (416) 250-5050
Collection / Debtors
Life & Disability
Property & Casualty
Estate & Wills
Aviation & Air
Landlord / Tenant
Libel & Slander
Construction, Engineering and Infrastructure
General Real Estate Transactions
To book Jonathan Flanders
416 250 5050